Other areas of our website:
in the Park
Links to other interesting sites
Agreement between Neighborhood
Housing Services of Waterbury, Inc. (NHS) and the Hillside Neighborhood Association
October 31, 1989.
Whereas the Hillside Neighborhood is being declared a
self-reliant neighborhood by NHS and the Hillside Neighborhood Association wishes to
remain part of the NeighborWorks network, the following conditions have been agreed to:
- One Hillside representative will remain in the NHS Board of
- The NU/NHS Energy Loan Fund and various non-CDBG revolving loan
funds will be made available to Hillside property owners if guidelines are met.
- NHS will continue to service all existing loans.
- NHS will offer other assistance in the preparation of flyers and
meeting notices and the procuring of speakers for neighborhood association meetings.
- NHS will make the neighborhood association aware of grants
available and assist in application preparation.
- Residents of the Hillside neighborhood may still share in the
distribution of free seeds, paint supplies, and whatever other products may be made
available by NHS.
- NHS will handle all press releases regarding Hillside
- If, in future years, the housing stock suffers marked
deterioration, NHS will again target the area.
October 31, 1989
Mildred Paris, NHS President
President, Hillside Neighborhood Association
|Webmaster's note: At the time of the
self-reliant declaration of Hillside, the Neighborhood Association was totally against the
move. The self-reliance move was initiated and implemented by NHS as a non
At the time the the "emancipation" as members of the neighborhood association
called it, the neighborhood was still very much in disrepair, loaded with absentee
landlords, substandard housing and dealing with major problems of prostitution and drugs.
At the time, association members expressed very specific statements of feeling betrayed
and abandoned by the Neighborhood Housing Program and staff.
This notation entered in 1999, where today, the neighborhood has become a refurbished and
vibrant center of living.
(Also kind of interesting it was dated on Haloween)